Tuesday 27 August 2013

Flower Power

Hello, me again!

This post isn't about one of my recipes though I am hoping to do another soon. I love the outdoors and living on an Island I pretty much spend most of my time at the beach. When it comes to decorating your home I know people will flick through endless catalogues and roam around the high street for hours. However I love creating my own things, no matter how easy and simple they are. Sometimes the least difficult things can really make something homely.

First of all in my house we love our flowers! I prefer the ones taken straight from the garden, looking as natural and wild as possible. I very rarely use vases for flowers.







It's nice finding odd quirky bits and bobs to put your own flowers in. Jam jars are brilliant, but I always find myself wandering around car boots and charity shops finding unique things. In the 3rd picture (seen above) are old bottles that I was lucky enough to find washed up on the beach, don't get me wrong they took a lot of scrubbing but they turned out fantastic! (You can always find bottles like this in charity shops for at the most a few pounds). The great thing with these "vases" is that they are original and  its very unlikely that someone else will have the same.

One of the other great things to decorate your house with in the summer is not only fresh flowers but dried ones as well. When some flowers have past there bloom people tend to just bin them or chuck them in the compost. But plants like poppy head and alliums can look just as nice dried out after their prime.



Alliums create a lovely, delicate form that look great all year round, (we use them to decorate at Christmas along with other natural decorations). In the top picture you can see the gorgeous pale pinks as the colour changes over time. They look great in a tall jar, especially if you manage to keep the long stalks on them. If not the seeded heads are just as nice placed along a windowsill or fire place.

Let me know what you think and if you do anything similar or completely different!




No comments:

Post a Comment